[pchelpers] Re: S.O.S. I lost my CD ROM drive and my DVD drive

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:13:01 +1200

Inge wrote:
> I have no idea what happened. I lost my CD ROM drive and my DVD drive. They
> are still in the tower, but they do not show on the computer with all the
> drives. I cannot use them. Where are They? Can someone help me get them
> back, please??
>
> Drive-less in Niagara,
> Inge
That suggests both drives are connected to the same IDE cable. It has
probably become detached/loosened from the motherboard connector. To fix
it, shut down, detach the mains, open the casing and inspect the ribbon
cable coming from those drives to the motherboard. It would help if you
had some contact cleaner spray handy. Locate any connector that is loose
or disconnected. Earth yourself to the casing where possible (hold on to
it). Then spray some cleaner on the connecting pins. Finally, push the
connector(s) back in place. Power up and test it.

--
Regards, John Durham <http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig>
ICQ number 112663246