[pchelpers] News:Windows 98 to become hacker's paradise

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PC-Helpers <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:51:18 +1200

By Derek Sooman, TechSpot.com
Published: June 14, 2006, 3:04 PM EST

  Still using Windows 98? I'd seriously think about upgrading to XP if I
was you - if you ever connect your machine to the Internet, that is.
Microsoft is currently defending its decision not to patch a critical
security flaw in Windows 98, and support for the operating system
officially ends in less than a month's time.

Recently, a vulnerability was discovered in Windows Explorer and the way
it handles Component Object Model objects, which could have been
exploited by malicious hackers. Updates correcting the flaw were issued
for Windows 2000, XP and Windows Server 2003, but Windows 98 remains
unfixed. Why? Well it appears that Microsoft has just left the OS
behind, but of course they had something more tolerable to say on the
matter.

More here:
http://www.techspot.com/news/21912-windows-98-to-become-hackers-paradise.html
--