[pchelpers] News:US web traffic rerouted via China Telecom

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 07:57:51 +1300

The traffic to some highly sensitive US websites was briefly rerouted
via China, the US government has said.

The incident, which happened for 18 minutes last April, is published in
a report by the US-China Economic and Security review commission.

It found that China Telecom sent incorrect routing information, but it
is not clear whether it was intentional.

It comes amid continuing discussions in the US and the UK about
cyber-security.

Among traffic rerouted via China was that destined for the websites of
the US Senate, the Office of the Secretary of Defence, Nasa and the
Commerce Department, the report said.

"Evidence related to this incident does not clearly indicate whether it
was perpetrated intentionally and, if so, to what ends," according to
the report.

"However, computer security researchers have noted that the capability
could enable severe malicious activities," it added.

--
Regards, John Durham
Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786