[pchelpers] News:Google in 'significant breach' of UK data laws

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 07:32:43 +1300

3 November 2010 Last updated at 14:10 GMT
There was a "significant breach" of the Data Protection Act when Google
collected personal data via its Street View cars, the UK's Information
Commissioner has ruled.

But Google will not face a fine or any punishment, Christopher Graham added.

Instead, the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) will audit Google's
data protection practices.

The move marks a U-turn for the ICO which originally ruled that no data
breach had occurred.

Last week the ICO vowed to look again at the evidence, after the
Canadian data agency found the search giant in breach of its law.

Its decision was welcomed by MP Robert Halfon, who has been critcial of
the ICO and of Google, which he recently accused of deliberately
collecting the data for commercial gain.

However, he said that action had come too late.
More here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11684952
--
Regards, John Durham