[pchelpers] Re: Monitor wobbles

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ed <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:28:02 -0600

Hi Ed,

Sunday, January 18, 2004, 2:07:05 AM, you wrote:

E> Many monitors automatically degauss at startup causing a snapping
E> noise followed by clicking. This is the monitor switching into
E> video mode after degaussing. What is degaussing? I'm so glad you
E> asked:~ ) It corrects changes in the surrounding magnetic field.
E> The magnetic field can cause a color problem. So many monitors will
E> automatically de-gauss on startup.

E> If your monitor wobbles all the time than there is something close
E> by affecting the magnetic field which should be removed. Usually
E> this is because of a fan running close by the monitor. Move the fan
E> further away. The problem of a continually wobbling monitor could
E> also be due to speakers or other electrical contraption. Just move
E> it.

Some monitors don't degauss automatically at turn-on, but instead have
a degauss button, or degauss option on the OSD, or will degauss if you
turn the monitor off and back on immediately.  Excessive degaussing
can supposedly cause cheaper monitors to melt.

Wobbling at random times or constantly can also indicate that the
computer is on a circuit that has too much load on it, or that you're
getting bad power in the house, or that you have a cheap monitor,
where the manufacturer skimped on power conditioning circuitry.  A
good UPS, with power conditioning, may help smooth bad power.

Speaking of magnetic fields, when I was working for Wang, I once went
out to replace a discolored monitor. Sure enough, it was discolored. I
put the new monitor in, and it was discolored also. It turned out that
the metal cabinet was apparently magnetized.

--Scott.