[pchelpers] Re: Microsoft Hassling a Teenager

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:17:49 +1300

Since Microsoft is one of the richest companies in the world, I wonder=20
if they have now demonstrated the truth of this well known quotation?
*** Rbi8 Ecclesiastes 5:10 ***

10 A mere lover of silver will not be satisfied with silver, neither any =

lover of wealth with income. This too is vanity.
Tonia wrote:

>Below is an extract from the newsletter Woody's Windows Watch. Doesn't t=
his incident make you fuming mad!!=20

>--quote--
>
>Microsoft is off to a poor start PR-wise.  Hassling a teenager called Mi=
ke Rowe who has a sense of humor to make his web site  MikeRoweSoft.com .=
  Say it aloud and you'll realize why Microsoft became interested.   Now =
I could understand Redmond's concern if this was a scam of some sort, but=
 apparently the kids name is Mike Rowe and his web site (currently overlo=
aded with hits but you can see the Google cache version) wasn't pretendin=
g to be Microsoft related.  Microsoft Legal went in boots thumping to thr=
eaten a teenager and then offer a paltry $10.   Making unreasonable deman=
ds of people is what is called by Microsoft 'Good faith effort' - you'd h=
ate to see when they play hard ball.   The company says the site could be=
 used for misleading purposes in the future.  McDonald's has made a fool =
of itself by trying to stop members of the McDonald clan establish legiti=
mate businesses in that famous name, it's a wonder that Microsoft is maki=
ng similar mistakes.  Why not go all the w
> ay and
> sue the parents for giving their child a misleading name? Surely a poli=
te request that the web site have a disclaimer that it's not related to M=
icrosoft would have been sufficient (for anyone silly enough not to tell =
the two apart).  For heaven's sake - would someone at Microsoft call a ha=
lt to this nonsense before the company name is further tarnished?  --end =
quote---

>=20
>
>Just in case the above link doesn't work, here is the complete URL of Mi=
ke Rowe's website.=20

>http://www.google.com.au/search?q=3Dcache:FSp2EjIGGqwJ:www.mikerowesoft.=
com/+mikerowesoft&hl=3Den&start=3D1&ie=3DUTF-8

>=20
>
>Tonia
> =20

--=20