[pchelpers] Re: Dell Dimension 1100

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gerald Gollinger <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:22:28 -0500

Hi Gerald,

Friday, June 16, 2006, 9:19:04 AM, you wrote:

GG> NOWADAYS MANY FILES ARE TOO LARGE FOR 1.44 MB FLOPPY SO CD ROM
GG> WILL BE FINE

I just mentioned that in case you have files that you want to move
over.

GG> IF I HAVE RAM DO I NEED THE MEMORY KEYS AT ALL OR JUST TAKE THE
GG> PREINSTALLED VERSION?

The generic name for these is "USB flash drive". They are useful for
copying files between computers. They're much more convenient than
CD/DVD since they fit into a pocket. CDs and DVDs are much cheaper,
though; you can buy hundreds of discs for the cost of a USB flash
drive.  There's no relationship between USB flash drives and the RAM
memory.  That's another reason why I think the name "memory keys" is
misleading.

GG> I AM SURPRISED THAT THERE IS NO INTERNAL MODEM SINCE COMPAQ / HP
GG> comes with them preinstalled? AN EXTRA $20 WILL NOT NICKEL ME TO
GG> DEATH.

Most new computers now, at least in the US, have them as options.
Business models generally don't even include them as options.

GG> CAN I DOWNLOAD MY PRESENT ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE AND MICROSOFT
GG> PROVIDES ANTI-SPYWARE FREE?

Yes.

GG> CAN I USE MY EXISTING SPEAKERS, THAT IS, THEY SHOULD BE COMPATIBLE
GG> WITH DELL?

You should be able to.

GG> I HAVE THE FULL (PAID FOR) VERSION OF ACROBAT 5 PLUS ACROBAT 7
GG> READER ON MY COMPAQ PRESARIO.

You'll need to update Acrobat 5 to the latest revision.  In fact, I'm
not sure if they even support it anymore.

GG> MANY YEARS AGO A FRIEND HAD A TRANSFORMER BLOW OUT. DOES DELL SHIP
GG> THE PART AND MAKE THE USER INSTALL?

They will probably send someone for that, but I wouldn't bet on it for
"economy".  Perhaps if you ask them what happens "when" you break it,
they'll take a hint. :)

GG> MY COMPAQ PRESARIO USES A CELERON CHIP AND IT IS NOT THAT SLOW.

There are two separate issues, the CPU, and the chipset.

If the speed is satisfactory for you, then that's all that matters.

GG> All of them nickels and dimes will nickel and dime you to death, as
GG> the saying goes.

You might check the prices on computers that have some of this
standard; they might actually be cheaper overall.

Oh, you can save $50 by not getting a monitor, if the one that you
have already seems to work fine and isn't too old.

--
Scott.