[pchelpers] Re: Computer problem??????

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: John & Laverne <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 20:35:59 -0500

Hi John & Laverne,

Monday, June 5, 2006, 6:37:50 PM, you wrote:

JD> Laverne Reynolds wrote:

>> I have XP pro on a Compaq Presario with a Celeron 330 and 512 ram.
>> My HD got really flakey so I bought a new one - 300G. When I went
>> to install it, the bios recognized it as a 300 but the computer
>> would only let me partition 125G. A brother here who is a comp.
>> tech. said to go ahead and partition that and get it set up and
>> then use disk manager to partition the remaining amount. SO I did
>> ... BUT now I find that the disk manager from Samsung requires you
>> use it BEFORE even installing an OS. I'm HOPING that someone has
>> another solution.

JD> The BIOS response is a bit puzzling. It is clearly not a hardware
JD> limitation once the BIOS sees the size correctly.
JD> What program was being used to partition it? Options might include the
JD> basics like DOS partitioning, Windows partitioning during installation,
JD> partition magic used after windows installation etc.

Laverne, what model Presario is it?  What OS do you have; is it
Windows XP or something else?  Also, are you adding this drive, or is
this drive replacing the original drive?

John, I seem to recall that there's a 128GB (or thereabouts) HD limit
of some kind or other, maybe in Windows ME or Windows 2000.  Or maybe
it's a FAT32 limit.  There are so many hard drive limits (which have
fallen by the wayside) that it's easy to lose track. :)

Laverne, the tech that you referred to may have meant the Disk Manager
feature which is found in Windows 2000 and Windows XP, which is found
by RIGHT-clicking on My Computer, and selecting Manage.

--
Scott.