[Pack163] Reminder: Pinewood Derby Information

  • From: "Rob Landquist" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pack163@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 12:02:35 -0600

I am resending this email to remind you all of the upcoming Pinewood Derby.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greetings Pack 163!

As you all start to prepare for Christmas vacation, you will probably be
thinking about working on your Pinewood Derby Cars!  So, here is all the
information you need.

I have attached our pack's Pinewood Derby Rules.  If you have any questions,
please let me know.

I have also attached some design idea documents on the website to help you
along!

  _____

The Pinewood Derby Weigh-In is on January 10th.  Each den has a time slot.

6:00 - Tigers

6:25 - Wolves

6:50 - Bears

7:10 - Webelos

Design judging will be done at the end of the weigh-in by teachers and PTO
members.  The 3 categories are:

Most Spirit (Cub Scout or Patriotic)

Most Original

Most Car Like

The trophies will be awarded at the end of the Pinewood Derby Race.

We need volunteers for each of the weigh-in stations:

Check In

The Garage - help scouts make adjustments for items that did not pass
qualification

Inspection -checking the physical dimensions of the car

Weight Check - checking the car does not exceed the maximum weight

Observation Deck -quarantine area for cars after qualification

Please let me know if you would be willing to help

  _____

The Pinewood Derby Race is on January 11th at 6:00pm.

Invite your family and friends to attend this great event.  This is also a
fun meeting for bringing a friend that might be interested in joining Cub
Scouts.

Please wear your uniform, just like any Cub Scout event!

We will have pizza and water for sale.  We will send out another email
closer to the race to get an idea of how much pizza to buy!

We will need people to help at the food station!

The trophies are explained in the updated rules, but I will list again here.

There are 6 trophies awarded in each Cub Scout Rank (Tiger, Wolf, Bear,
Webelos).

1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for Speed

The 3 design categories

That means 24 scouts will win a trophy!

We only give 1 trophy to a scout.  If a scout wins a speed trophy, he cannot
win a design trophy.

The speed trophies are determined by the average of the 4 race times for
each car.

The cars are raced randomly against other cars in the pack across all Ranks.

Where a car places in each of the 4 races has nothing to do with how it
ranks against the other cars in the same Rank.

After we have determined the winners for each Cub Scout Rank, the four 1st
place cars will race against each other 4 more times to determine the Pack
Grand Champion!

The average times for those 4 races will be used to determine the winner.

This is the method the pack committee has chosen for many years, and we feel
it works best for our pack.

As we get closer, I will send out reminders and any new information.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Yours in Scouting,

Rob Landquist

Pack 163 Committee Chair