[PA28235] Re: test

  • From: jjhoneck@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: pa28235@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 12:34:29 +0000

Alan, we have run over 6300 US gallons of mogas through our O-540, without a
burp.  (And the previous owner used mogas, too.)

In fact, the ONLY time I've had any engine trouble has been when I was forced
to run with avgas, on a long cross-country flight.  We ended up in a long
ground hold (in Titusville, Florida) for a nearby presidential "aircade"
(what's the aviation equivalent of a "motorcade"?), and unwittingly fouled the
plugs.

On climbout, I lost the number 2 cylinder completely (thank you, EDM-700!), and
had to make a semi-emergency landing.  That would NEVER have happened if I
wasn't forced to burn that 100LL crap.

Anyway, see pix of how we built a mogas hauler:
http://alexisparkinn.com/fuel_truck.htm

Without "The Mighty Grape", hauling mogas in 5-gallon "jerry cans" is an awful,
slow, messy, and dangerous job.  With it, gassing the plane is much nicer than
using the self-serve pumps at the airport!

Of course, now we're going through this "ethanol" nonsense, where our
government is trying to mandate the use of 10% (at least) alcohol in our gas,
as a way of using up all that tax-bought corn that no one really needs.
Ethanol isn't usable in our planes (that's another rant, for another post), so
-- if you're in one of the states that thinks you're too stupid to choose which
gas to buy -- you're out of luck.

Luckily -- amazingly -- Iowa (the source of most of that welfare corn) still
lets me choose whether I want ethanol or gasoline, so we're still good here.
For now.
--
Jay Honeck
Owner/Innkeeper

-------------- Original message from Alandwood@xxxxxxx: --------------

Hi,
Here in the UK fuel has now risen to £1.40 ($2.59) per litre and is warned to
get higher!
Does anyone have any more information on running the 0-540 on mogas?
Good to hear you are all still around.
regards, Alan