[overture] Poisson equation in spherical coordinates

  • From: Viacheslav Merkin <vgm@xxxxxx>
  • To: overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:49:18 -0400

Dear Bill,

I am solving a Poisson equation in spherical coordinates using Ogen. Physically the equation is written on a spherical shell; I'm solving it on a rectangular grid (theta,phi), where theta is the polar angle and phi is the azimuthal angle. I have been trying different boundary conditions at the pole and even had a conversation with you about it a fairly long while ago. I've used a boundary condition since then which worked well but I have doubts now about its justification. Upon doing proper Taylor expansion around the pole, I realized that (surprise!) the electric field component E_theta in the vicinity of the pole is given by A*sin(phi)+B*cos(phi) to zeroth order in theta, which says that the electric field is uniform. Considering next terms in the expansion it is possible to derive a linear relationship between A and B, but it is not necessary to set up a boundary condition. From the uniformity of the field it follows that a good boundary condition to use is E_theta(theta=0,phi) = - E_theta(theta=0,PI+phi), where E_theta=-d_Psi/d_theta and Psi is the potential. The above boundary condition ensures the smoothness of the electric field over the pole. So, here is my question: is it possible to "easily" set this boundary condition in Overture without modifying the coefficient matrix, and if not, how do I go about modifying the coefficient matrix?

Thank you very much in advance,
Slava Merkin

Viacheslav Merkin
Senior Research Associate
Astronomy Department and
Center for Integrated Space Weather Modeling
Boston University

e-mail: vgm at bu.edu
phone: (617) 358-3441
fax: (617) 358-3242