[overture] Re: Generating grid for a wing

  • From: Bill Henshaw <henshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:28:53 -0700

Hi Praveen,

  Unfortunately our plot3d reader does not expect surface grids
so it thinks your file has a volume grid. The normal mapping expects
to see a surface grid and thus your grid cannot be used.

  You can create a surface grid as a DataPointMapping or Nurbs
but you will need to re-format your data so that it can be read in
by one of these mappings (option 'enter points' in the DPM or Nurbs).
.

Regards,
  Bill

Praveen C wrote:
I am trying to generate a grid for onera m6 wing. I took a surface grid in the form of plot3d file. I am able to read it into ogen. Now I am trying to generate volume grid using "mapping from normals" but I get an error that the mapping wing-surface is unknown. I am sure I am making a silly mistake but I am not able to figure it out. I have attached the files. Can you take a look please.

Thanks
praveen

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Bill Henshaw <henshaw@xxxxxxxx <mailto:henshaw@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

     Dear Praveen,

     I guess the closest example that we have is in the
    sail for the submarine (Overture/sampleGrids/sub.cmd)
    which uses the cross-section mapping. Of course the
    trailing edge and end cap are the difficult parts
    to deal with.

     We should have a better example distributed with
    Overture so if you are able to create something and
    are willing to share it with us that would be great.

    Regards,
     Bill.

* * Takes a plot3d file for a wing surface grid * create mappings
   read plot3d file
      surf.dat
   view mappings
      surf.dat-grid0