[overture] Re: False Shown Physical Boundaries

  • From: Bill Henshaw <henshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:55:54 -0700

Dear Matt,
  If you change the file Overture/Ogshow/grid.C and then type 'make'
from the Overture directory that file should get recompiled and the
libraries rebuilt. It sounds like you didn't install Overture ?

...Bill

matthew fuller wrote:
Bill,

Thanks for the prompt reply! I think i can understand where you are coming from on the representation of convex corners. There really is no way to fully represent these areas with mappings.

I had another question about modifying the grid.C file. I'm in unknown waters here with remaking Overture. I attempted to enter make in the overture directory and I get a "no targets specified no makefile found". I do notice a Makefile.in and a Makefile.save. Should i run one of those instead? Within them they state that environmental variables should be defined prior to running though.

Thanks for your help.
Matt

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Bill Henshaw <henshaw@xxxxxxxx <mailto:henshaw@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Dear Matt,

     At some point the plotting of mixed boundaries was broken. Here is
    the fix:

    Change Overture/ogshow/grid.C around line 463 from

    --- old:

           if( parameters.gridOptions(grid) &
    GraphicsParameters::plotInteriorBoundary )
             ISinteriorBoundaryPoint=0;
           else
             ISinteriorBoundaryPoint=MappedGrid::ISinteriorBoundaryPoint;

    ---- new:

           if( parameters.gridOptions(grid) &
    GraphicsParameters::plotInteriorBoundary )
             ISinteriorBoundaryPoint=MappedGrid::ISinteriorBoundaryPoint;
           else
             ISinteriorBoundaryPoint=0;
    -------

    After making the change just type 'make' from the main Overture
    directory.

    As a note, to send *.cmd files just rename them to *_cmd for example.

     Convex corners are a contentious issue in my mind. I am
    going to rant a bit here but don't take it personally :)
    The bottom line is that you are fooling yourself if you
    think you are getting an accurate answer near the sharp convex
    corner.

    I always recommend that the corners be rounded off slightly.
    As the mesh is refined the corner can be made sharper if
    desired. In this case more and more grid points are added
    to resolve the corner where the solution changes rapidly.
    You thus will get an accurate answer to a slightly wrong geometry
    rather than the wrong answer to the right geometry.

    Regards,
     Bill

    matthew fuller wrote:

           Hi,
           I have a few questions about some false physical boundaries which
           are plotted when using cgins.
           To begin, i am mapping a flatback airfoil. Essentially it is an
           airfoil with the trailing edge chopped off. This in itself proved
           difficult to grid given my limited knowledge of ogen mappings and
           ogens seemingly limited ability to map around sharp corners. None
           the less i was able to get a very sharp flat trailing edge using
           shared sides, mixed boundaries, and no hole cutting. Ogen
        indicates
           my mappings overlap properly. But, when i read in this grid
        file to
           cgins the mixed boundary that i specified is still plotted as a
           physical boundary. To be clear i can tell by the flow field that
           these "false" physical boundaries are not actually recognized by
           cgins. They do however look strange and raise questions to their
           origin and significance. I have found that by disabling boundary
           plotting completely whilst in cgins gets rid them but it also
        gets
           rid of the airfoil boundary. This make its harder to see
        where the
           airfoil stops and the flow field begins.

           My question is, is there a way to change the representation
        of these
           mixed boundary boundaries in ogen to prevent them from showing up
           when running a simulation?    I have attached a screen shot
        to show what i mean.  Unfortunately
           the email client i am using (Gmail) will not let me send .cmd
        files
           (for fear of malware i suppose) so i can not send my ogen and
        cgins
           command files.

           I would appreciate any insight you can provide on this issue.

           Thanks!
           Matt