[otb] Welcome to Trinidad - Day 3-5

  • From: "victor" <victor@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Freelists" <otb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 20:59:55 -0400

Welcome to Trinidad - Day 3
Can you believe tonight will be the last day of our first revival? We started
with the children?s crusade in the morning. It went well and the new easel
works great. I miss the black light, but God can use whatever we give Him. The
children here are very fun, and they love to play games. There are many
children of West Indian ancestry and lots of African ancestry, but not many
mixed or white. This is very much Trinidad. We have had three ministry things
each day, and we do a lot of ?hurry up and wait.? For instance, our ministry
date for yesterday morning kids crusade was for our driver to pick us up at
7:30 a.m. to drive a half hour, and set up and be ready at 9:00 to begin. Our
driver arrived at 8:40 and then made three stops (not quick) on the way, and
we arrived well after time to begin and began an hour late. Hard for us,
normal for them. The kids didn?t even blink.

P.S. Vic drove here yesterday. (Ahhhh!!!) Wrong side of the narrow, unlined
road. A teenager was telling him how to drive and keeping him on the wrong
side, etc. Vic was making him nervous. Vic says it was payback for teaching
his boys to drive.

Welcome to Trinidad - Day 5

Today was a lime.  (Not to be confused with a lemon.)  A lime is a holiday
here.  In other words, we had the day off (all planned out for us, with a
schedule, but off, nonetheless.)  The last three days have been very rigorous.
 We have been up before 7:00 and not home again until 11:00 p.m. or later.  We
have been in Endeavor during the daytime, even between programs because it is
too far to come home.  We rest where we can, but today we rested at da riva
(also known as the river.)  Many of the friends we have made here joined us.
We swam in the river, played soccer, explored, played with juggling equipment
and got to know each other better.  We also ate. They cooked special food for
the lime all there at the river in cast iron kettles over open fires.  We had
curried duck on rice, (very special occasion food) and curried chicken with
very hot (spicy) peas in the sauce.  We had cassava, half-green- mango ?chow?
(very hot, salty, and good!), roti bread with spicy tomato sauce, and fruit
juices and Apple J (yummy apple pop.)  There were also a new kind of fruit
with a nut inside you have to crack in your teeth.  It looks like macadamia
but tastes like a tiny coconut.  The boys are enjoying themselves immensely
and making tons of Trini friends and even some Jamaicans, who are here working
with YWAM and staying in the same place we are.  It was so much fun.  I?m
tired now.  I?ll need a lime to recover.  (Sound familiar?)

http://www.otbusa.org
the Subject field.