[otb] April 16, 2006 OTB Update

  • From: "victor" <victor@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Freelists" <otb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 21:34:26 -0400

Dear One:

Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
 Take my yoke upon you and learn of me, for I am meek and humble in heart and
ye shall find rest unto your soul, for my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
                                                        Your friend,
                                                                        Jesus
Dear Friends and Family in the Lord:

I just had one of the most precious moments of my life.  It was one of those
very rare ones that you actually recognize while you are in the midst of it.
I will try to describe it, but may not be able to take you there.

This is Holy Week, and since the kids have been in a school system (not home
school) we have had a more difficult time focusing in on that special week
each year.  This year we turned off all the entertainment devices and games as
we do each year, but we really don?t use them much during the week anyway
because of homework and other work.  I tried to set up Ash Wednesday to have a
bonfire and talk about the significance of putting down our sin each day and
especially on this day to prepare for Good Friday, but we had obligations at
the school that evening and the boys had too much homework when we got home.
How about a special supper commemorating Christ?s Passover with his disciples?
 Praise Team practice, Mexico meeting, and an award service that Evan hadn?t
even told us he was to be honored at.  I gave up.

Friday night.  ?What?s for dinner??  ?I don?t have much homework.?  ?Me
neither.?  ?How about a bonfire to cook the hotdogs??  ?I have S?more stuff.?
 And that?s how God worked out what I could not.  Dad built a fire.  I
gathered up stuff the boys carried out to the yard, and it was happening
before I knew it.  We ate supper and caught up on the week.  We finished up
our sticky dessert and Evan went to find the Foxtail.  (A yard game of
throwing and catching, Tim and Vic beat Evan and me, but we didn?t mind.  We
love to play.)  Meanwhile Nate got a whole bunch of action figures and was
playing with them in a gorgeous blooming Redbud tree.  When our game was over,
Tim decided to play with his little brother rather than play Kerchunk (a dice
game a pastor taught us) by the fire with Vic and Evan and me. (Vic beat Evan
and me, but we didn?t mind.  We love to play.)  By the time we were finishing,
we had to get the Coleman lantern because it was getting so dark.  (It was
also getting buggy.)  You could hardly see the boys under the branches.  They
had invented a game show with Superheroes as contestants.  Pretend gets quite
intense when the players are 13 and 17.  By the time I realized it was a great
picture, I had missed the daylight.

As I enjoyed the perfect weather, the relaxed fun, and having those I love the
most all around me, I began to realize what a treasure the evening was.  My
boys were so excited and content to have a stay at home, unplugged, unplanned
evening.  Nothing was special, but the evening was magical, at least for me.
In that snapshot I see that there are not as many more of these as I would
like.  Tim was just enjoying being a kid, and yet, this morning he couldn?t
sleep in because he was so excited about going to his Junior/Senior Class
night tonight.  (Like a Prom, but a whole lot more.)  He?s a senior next year,
as attested to by the piles of solicitations from colleges and branches of the
military, and we are seeing the man emerge more every day as the boy quickly
disappears into the photo albums.

So it wasn?t a Seder dinner.  It was a chance to let them all know that we
love who they are and who they are becoming in Jesus.  He was there through
each and every burden-less moment.  My friend Paul reminds me that if the load
I?m carrying is breaking me down, I?m not wearing the yoke Jesus gave me.

May your Easter be a reminder that the heavy load and the heartbreaking work
of the cross has been handled by Jesus.  He has risen!  He has risen indeed!
Now take His yoke and learn of Him.  Our time in heaven with Him will be here
soon, and it will be like my magical moment, except without the regret that it
will be over soon.  For now, if we can just focus on His work for us and leave
behind the stuff that weighs us down, our yoke will be easy and His burden
light.

God bless you all,

Linda

P.S.  Thanks so much to those who prayed and sent gifts for Tim and Evan?s
financial needs for the trip to Nogales, Mexico.  They are almost fully
funded!  We are so grateful.  You guys are awesome!

http://www.otbusa.org
the Subject field.