[otb] 8-25-2010 OTB Update

  • From: "victor" <victor@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Freelists" <otb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:32:13 -0400

August 25, 2010

Dear Friends and Family in the Lord:

Peru Trip -2010, July 31 (Excerpt from Victor?s daily journal.)

Arrived 10:30 pm, 45 minute ride to hotel, checked in and to sleep by about
1:30 am, up by 6:30 am, breakfast 7:00 am.  Nice.  Introduced to rest of
team?people from all over the US and all walks of life; teens, college
students, full time missionaries, pastor, work-a-day people, grandmas,
grandpas; nice people looking forward to making good relationships?  Bus
arrives at hotel in Lima early ? a surprise because we just got the ?Peru
time? ?Be flexible!? talk!

Most people who head out on a missions trip are surprised to find that they
are getting ministered to as much or more than they think they are ministering
to others.  I have been blessed to be able to go on several mission trips, so
this wasn?t a surprise to me, but how it happened was.  Before we left, I was
under the impression that I was going to be witnessing and ministering through
the performance arts.  When I arrived, I was a team leader, and was really
affecting three groups of people.
1.      The nationals who were planting the church were 5-7 people 15-60+ years
old.  They appreciated our help and encouragement, and they worked diligently
at hosting us and reaching out to their own community.  They seemed to grasp
what we were trying to teach them.
2.      The unreached people of Peru were receptive to the gospel and to us.
Ours
was only one of the seven teams represented by about 31 North Americans on the
trip, and between all of them, 599 Peruvians heard the gospel, 399 trusted
Jesus for the first time, and 127 people received a follow-up visit.
3.      The four teen-agers that were in my group were all from my home church,
Cheyenne Berean.  It was after an entire day of working with them that I
realized I had all teen-agers, 17-19. They were so mature, and focused on
sharing their faith.  I learned from them.

It was a special blessing for me to have Nathan on my team.  To see the way he
has grown over these last two years makes this dad?s heart full of joy.  He
was fearless, in a way I never was at his age.

Now that we are back, the challenge is to keep bringing the gospel to those
around us with the same boldness we had in Peru.  There are many people here
with the same hunger for the gospel that we saw in Peru.  The only difference
is that they are our friends, brothers, sisters, people who know us, and a few
who don?t yet.  Please continue to pray for us as we settle in at camp, learn
our new jobs, and continue to share the gospel in new and unique ways right
here at home.  Pray for all three boys as they start a new year in college,
with work and finances that go with that.  (Three in college at one time
represents poor planning on our part, wouldn?t you say?)  Thank you.

In His Grip,    Vic and Linda Schiro

http://www.otbusa.org
the Subject field.