[otb] 8-23-2002 OTB Update

  • From: OTB <victor@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OTB Update <otb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 07:04:32 -0600

August 23, 2002

Dear friends and family:

What an interesting and fun, jam packed, couple of weeks we have just
had.  (Peach jam, in fact!)  We headed back to Colorado two weeks ago to
conduct Vacation Bible School near our home. We stayed at our place in
Sterling while commuting to Fleming each evening.  The children were
very receptive and we all had a great time amongst friends.  It was a
stark reminder to my boys of the end of summer, because the children
where we were headed back to school the very next Monday.  Their school
books arrived in the mail, as well, that week.  They didn't seem very
anxious to unpack them so I decided not to bring them to Michigan with
us.

My reminder of the end of summer was that the Colorado peaches were in
the stores.  I got up early our first morning home, and looked for them
at the farmer's market.  Too expensive!  After giving up, Jehovah Jireh
provided more than I could possibly use for next to nothing, so I froze
a lot and made jam from the rest.  Then I got one more box and prepared
some the same way for a good friend who is pretty swamped with all she
has to do.  It's always fun to be able to share the blessings with
someone else.  It will also be fun to pull them out in the winter and
remember how every good and perfect gift comes down from the Father.

Here in Kalamazoo, MI there are shirts everywhere that say ?Yes, there
really is a Kalamazoo!?  I didn't understand that there are people who
just think it's a made up place from the movies, like Kukamonga.  (There
is actually one of those too!)  It's real and we are meeting more of the
people here each night.  This Bible school just keeps getting bigger and
bigger.  Last night, an a night when VBS normally begins to wind down,
there were 20 new guests!  At the end, so many children and adults came
forward  that we didn't take them out of the sanctuary for counseling.
We just talked to all of them and tried to pass out Bibles and meet
needs right there.  The church people are very excited too.  There will
be at least two new families among them now, not to mention all the
children that are there on their own and want to come back.  We leave
them in good hands.  I know Pastor Aspinwall and his people will help
them find a home there.  Oh, did I mention that this is a church with an
average Sunday morning attendance af about 60?  We had almost that many
children last night.  Tonight is Friday and the end of the regular Bible
School, but Saturday is a neighborhood carnival and Sunday a program by
the children for the parents.  It should be great fun.  Continue to pray
for the harvest there.  It is so fun to watch God work.

When I was in grade school, we always had a field trip to Kellogg's
factory near here in Battle Creek, MI.  Yesterday I took my kids to
Kellogg's new facility for a field trip.  You don't actually tour the
factory anymore but you get to learn all the processes and eat some corn
flakes, hot off the press.  You learn about the history of cereal
manufacture and the advertising aspects of it.  We got to see a lot of
the toy surprises from over the years (called ?premiums?).   Did you
know that they started including them during the depression when those
were some of the only toys parents could afford?  Two box tops and a few
pennies and you could get a doll (You stuffed her yourself!).  Or some
were paper dolls or planes printed on the box back.  It is hard for my
generation to imagine, but it makes me thankful anyway.   The boys
really enjoyed it and learned a lot.  The only thing they missed from my
trip was that looonnngg bus ride from the other side of the state.  Oh
well.

I must get to the laundry.  I look forward to doing that at home again
next week.   I love being on the road, but there are just some things
better at home.  We will be at the Taste of Colorado in Civic Center
Park in Denver next Friday, at 5:00 p.m. on the Children's Stage.
Admission is free, but food is not.  We'd love to see any of you that
live nearby.  If you don't live near there go to http://otbusa.org and
go to the itinerary and see when we will be near you.

God bless you all, and thanks for the encouragement.  We are starting to
be a little road-worn and your notes and visits really help carry us
along.   We look forward to seeing some of you tomorrow at the carnival
and next week in Denver, and we'll talk to the rest of you soon.

In the name of my generous Father, (who even cares if I get to can
peaches!) I am sincerely grateful,

Linda

P.S.  When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle. It makes the neighbor's
dog that barks all the time run to the end of his chain and gag
himself.  (Just kidding, none of our neighbor's even have a dog. They
have cats...or their cats have servants depending on whether you talk to
them or to the cat.)  J

http://www.otbusa.org
the Subject field.