[orebird] Re: heads up on Oregon 2020 hotspots

  • From: "W. Douglas Robinson" <w.douglas.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: orebird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 06:15:07 -0700

Hi Matt

Good questions, and sorry for forgetting to address Vjera's question. The basic
plan you state is fine. If you use personal locations, we will definitely
extract them and put them in the hotspot square dataset during analyses. So
it's fine to do it that way. In some ways it is even better because it cuts a
step later in data analysis (we don't have to look in the comments for the GPS
location). But there is a cost.

As you mentioned, the data are not visible in the Hotspot Explorer unless they
are entered into eBird under the Oregon 2020--Hotspot Square Name with the name
exactly right (if you choose this from the pull down menus in eBird or BirdLog,
it should be seamless). Inclusion there does not matter to many folks, because
they don't yet use the Hotspot Explorer or care if their name and sightings are
publicly displayed on the eBird page. However, it also means that our 2020
folks cannot see if a Hotspot Square has been visited either, unless we
download the data from eBird and sort through it all. That's a big process.

Probably what we need pretty soon is to see if we can find folks who would
agree to be county coordinators. Those folks could keep tabs on what squares
have been visited, who has been helping, whether there was interest in having
the 2020 crew could come down for a helpful workshop, letting us know if some
squares are totally inaccessible, etc. If we had county coordinators keeping an
eye on square coverage a couple times per year, we would at least know which
squares had data even if they were not visible in the Hotspot Explorer, and
without going a through a big data extraction and mapping exercise. I know that
there are lots of data from quite a number of hotspot squares that are from
personal locations, especially in the Willamette Valley, so finding ways to
keep tabs on square "completion" is an important issue.

Regarding Vjera's concern about possible overlap, I'd say that it would be nice
to keep those data separate (so add observations seen outside of the existing
EWEB hotspot but still inside the square as another checklist for the Hotspot
Square), but I understand the extra workload is unappealing. So, in the end,
there will be a small percentage of squares that overlap existing hotspots and
it's ok to just be sure the data get into eBird somehow. It will be our 2020
crew's job to sort through which data get used in what way. We don't want this
to be an extra burden on folks, too much anyway...

This also relates to Dawn's concern about the confusion about the Lincoln City
issue. One of the challenges I see with the regular Hotspots and their use in
eBird is that the limits of the areas of typical Hotspots are not defined
clearly for users. For example, there is a Finely refuge Hotspot, which is a
huge area. No telling exactly where in the refuge people have birded when they
submit under that hotspot. So, long story short is that it is our 2020 crew's
job to 1) help find ways to educate folks about what the Oregon 2020--hotspots
mean, and 2) be careful about how we interpret and use the data loaded into any
and all of the hotspots. We have a long series of steps we will use to make the
final selections, but it is involved and will take time.

So, in summary, load in data in whatever way is convenient for you, help folks
you know understand that Oregon 2020--hotspots are 1 square mile in area, and
let us know which squares have been covered and which have not.

All the best!
Doug