[orebird] Re: heads up on Oregon 2020 hotspots

  • From: "Vjera Thompson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "vireogirl@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "orebird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <orebird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 15:54:02 -0700 (PDT)

Doug,

I live near the Anna's Hummingbird square in Eugene.  There is a hotspot inside
the square (EWEB wetlands).  How will situations like this be handled?  Should
I double-post if I'm birding the EWEB wetlands?  Or only use the Anna's
Hummingbird spot outside of the EWEB location?

Vjera

On Monday, April 21, 2014 3:52 PM, W. Douglas Robinson
<w.douglas.robinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi gang,

Just a heads-up that there will be a bunch of new Oregon hotspots added to the
state in the next few days. We've been working with eBird and Brian Sullivan to
get a grid-like sampling scheme established for Oregon 2020. Through lots of
discussions and planning we realized that to meet the main goal of 2020, to
establish benchmark measurements of Oregon bird distributions and abundances,
we need more structure to how we sample birds across the state. This resulted
in a type of sampling grid that is stratified across townships, but preserves
an element of randomization (a necessary assumption of statistical approaches
that will let us estimate statewide population sizes). The sites, what we call
hotspot squares, are one mile square sections selected randomly from each
36-square mile township in the state. That totals about 2800 of these sample
sites.

You can see the sites here:

http://tools.oregonexplorer.info/oe_map_viewer_2_0/Viewer.html?Viewer=Oregon2020

We will be announcing all these updates with more explanation of why we picked
areas of this size, etc, on the 2020 web page, OBOL and the upcoming eBird
Northwest portal very soon, especially since breeding season is upon us.

All of the hotspot squares are named "Oregon 2020--hotspot square name". So,
all begin with Oregon 2020--

They have unique names, associated with a geographical feature, road, etc,
within each one-square mile hotspot square. However, a subset of about 300 of
these (11% of the total) are named after birds; e.g., Oregon 2020--Evening
Grosbeak. These are called the Hot 300 and we will be developing some
challenges associated with counting birds in as many of the Hot 300 as
possible. We aim to have prizes from sponsors for those who contribute the most
from the Hot 300, all the hotspot squares in each county, and all the hotspot
squares statewide. It should be really fun.

Anyway, this email is just to alert you that this is happening, that you will
be able to use the Explorer Tools on eBird to see who has visited each hotspot
square and what they saw, and to easily locate each hotspot square if you use
BirdLog to enter data. All the names will appear in the lists of hotspots
nearby.

Let me know if you have questions.

All the best,
Doug