unnecessary DML during update of Context indexed table

  • From: John Pink <jrpink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:15:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have a table with an Oracle Context (v. 9.2.0.3)
index on one column.  When update one of the other
(non-indexed) columns in the table, Oracle still does

a. A delete from DR$<table_name>$K
b. An insert into CTXSYS.DR$PENDING
c. A seemingly *bonus* insert into CTXSYS.DR$WAITING

When I have a large number of updates this is adding
quite a bit of time to the process, not to mention the
fact that step 'a' above causes my document to become
"un-indexed" until I run a sync.

There's a good chance I am missing something here, but
why should Oracle fire the procedure/triggers that
update the Context version of this row when an
unrelated column is updated?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

John

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail