RE: unix - calc file descriptors

  • From: "Khemmanivanh, Somckit" <somckit.khemmanivanh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <shull@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:27:09 -0700

Interesting, I just did a similar process last Friday (in prep for a
go-live)...

I used lsof to see all the open files for all Oracle processes on the DB
server. I then compared this with a sar -v output. I found that in my
situation it was easy to get a rough guess of the required number of
open file descriptor
(nfile Unix param) by simply multiply (number_of_datafiles x
number_of_dedicated_server_process). It's a rough enough guess but
works...Not sure if you wanted/needed something much more exact than
that...

Thanks!