Re: trying to run ./runinstaller for hpux

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 22:00:49 -0600

On 26/03/2013 12:38 PM, Zelli, Brian wrote:
> I keep getting this error.  I've googled and tried everything they say and
> can't get past this.
> checking monitor must be configured to display at least 256 colors
>
> I can't get past this.......
>
> I tried switching to root and running xhost, doesn't work.  Set the $DISPLAY,
> doesn't work.....
>
> I've run the installer for 10g some years back on this box.  Does it have to
> do with the version of windows I'm running?
> That's the only thing that's different.  Using reflections to connect to unix
> box.
Don't see the error you're getting.  Could you please copy/paste it.

In general terms:

The xhost is done on the machine that contains the physical screen (runs
the X server) which is in this case your Reflections machine.
     xhost +

The export is done on the machine which has the command you want to run,
in your case the machine on which runInstaller is found
     export DISPLAY={host-where-reflections-is-running}:0.0

And the runInstaller is run by the Oracle user, not [never] the root
user. In the same session as you did the export.  (So log in as oracle,
and then export, cd and runInstaller.)

The challenge is in the export above - knowing which display and screen
(the 0.0 pair).

But actually getting a copy of the error would also be useful.