Re: to_number question

  • From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:17:09 -0600

Wow, what a thread! This is what this list is about. The respectful exchange of
ideas, regardless of agreement or disagreement.
Someone once said that you learn most from those who disagree with you. (Of
course, the occasional dash of humor adds a little spice).

On the subject of subqueries, we must also consider views, which is a subquery
with a stored definition. I remember being taught
that a view was a logical abstraction and that was it. If we extend the
argument that we must consider optimization when executing a
subquery, we must do the same for a view. I would venture to guess that there
are many more statements using views than coded
subqueries. And all the rules of data integrity, performance, optimizer
transformation apply. And, yet, how often do we (including
anyone who writes code that accesses the database) consider these implications
when putting together a view and using in a query.

This is something that requires more thought (from me at least).

Regards,
Daniel Fink