to_number question

  • From: Stephen.Lee@xxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:56:06 -0500

OK folks.  I've slammed this around every which way I can think of.

Two columns of a table are char(18) and contain 13, 15, or 16 numeric
digits.  The digits are KNOWN to be strictly numeric (except for the padding
out to 18 characters).
I can select:
   to_number(COLUMN) OK
   to_number(trim(COLUMN) OK
   cast(COLUMN AS NUMBER) OK.
   to_number(COLUMN A) - to_number(COLUMN B) OK
   to_number(COLUMN A) - 12345 OK

But if I try something like
select yadayada from table where 123 < {any of the above number conversions)

I get ORA-01722: invalid number
with the * under the number conversion in the where clause.

Generally, if I try ANY kind of comparison or arithmetic operation in the
WHERE clause, I get the error.
While I can: select to_number(COLUMN A) - to_number(COLUMN B) OK
I cannot do: WHERE to_number(COLUMN A) - to_number(COLUMN B) > 0;

I've tried fiddling with format specifiers in the TO_NUMBER function.  The
TO_NUMBER section of the O'Reilly PL/SQL Programming sheds no light on the
problem.  Might there be someone amongst the learned out there who can?
(The version is 9.2.0.4)