tnsping and sqlplus output OK, but [ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist]

  • From: Sven Aluoor <aluoor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 15:28:04 +0200

Hi folks

I have here a strange problem. I wrote a lot of cronjobs with sqlplus
here documents like that:

select_script ()
{
db_dummy=Jby8a4xsS20Lf08aQ7Q7
sqlplus -S <<EOF / > /opt/ess/scripts/outout_pf00.log
essadmin/$db_dummy@$ORACLE_SID
set echo Off
set term On
set pages 0
set head off
set ver off
set feed off
set trims on
set linesize 200

select * from rss;

exit
EOF
}

As output I receive in /opt/ess/scripts/outout_pf00.log the error
"ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not
exist" and the output of the Select-Query.

Tnsping shows no error. Tnsnames.ora is OK (tried both IP-Address and
name). Manual sqlplus with user name and password doesn't show the
error.

Everything works, but this is an ugly error message in the output. How
to get rid of?

cheers Sven