Re: systemstate dump; keep user connected in background

  • From: Casey Dyke <caseydyke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: barb.baker@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:21:32 +1000

i used to do the following:

connect into the database and enter a loop in which the session sleeps on a dbms_pipe.receive_message call. if a message is received, i would unpack it and verify what the contents were. if they were 'terminate', the session would gracefully exit - otherwise another loop would be entered ... and so on ...

that concept was the basis for a couple of pl/sql daemons, as we called them. there may be better ways to do it now, but it is an idea for you nonetheless.

cheers,

casey

Barbara Baker wrote:

I'm really liking this idea! (keeping a connection at all times)
Since this can happen at any time, I'd like to script this.  What I'm
trying to do is connect a user in a ksh script and keep the user
connected all day.  That way I can query the database to get that
user's pid.

However, the user keeps exiting from the database.

Anyone know how to keep the user connected?

I'm running a script called persist.sh   Must use sudo.  SA's say so
   sudo su - oracle persist.sh

persist.sh connects to oracle in background
 sqlplus scott/tiger @${SQL_DIR}/connect_persist.sql &

but after running connect_persist.sql (which does select sysdate from
dual) the sqlplus job exists.

Again, this is Solaris 9

Thanks for the tip, Egor!

On 7/19/05, Egor Starostin <egorst@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If this (db hangs) happens regularly then it's better to have one idle
dedicated connection from sqlplus to be able to run smth like
"oradebug dump systemstate 10" when database is freezing. Or you can
attach to this process, call ksudss() and run in sqlplus 'select 1
from dual' (just to awake process from sleep). No matter that select
will not return anything -- call to ksudss() should be succesfull in
such case.

-- Egor http://www.oracledba.ru/orasrp/ Free Oracle Session Resource Profiler