RE: storage and filesystems on linux (ocfs2, ASM...)

  • From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jonathan Smith <smithj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 01:05:16 +0200

Oracle is doing syncing for you.
When you use local homes, the installer will clone the software to the other
nodes at the end of the installation.

When using linux multipathing you can specify what has to happen when all paths
to a lun are unavailable. One option (don't know if this is the default) is
"queue if no path", which let the io's just wait when no path is available
(yes, sometimes the options are pretty descriptive  ;-)  )
At that moment it is the css timeout (heartbeat to the voting disks) which will
kick in and reboot the node.

I'm not familiar enough with ocfs2 to know if there are some timeouts on that
level.

In Redhat / OL 5 it is possible to add / remove luns (or paths to luns) without
forcing the HBA to rescan the fabric (I have done so last week).
In RH / OL 4 it should also be possible, but I never succeeded.
See the redhat online storage reconfiguration guide:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Online_Storage_Reconfiguration_Guide/index.html

In your orginal post you said that your system crashed on average once a week
because of this rescanning. Is so often that something changes to the paths
between your rac nodes and the storage?

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime