standby and Oracle licensing

  • From: "David" <thump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:16:20 -0800 (PST)

I am under the impression that a physical standby DB is licensed under the
EE license for the primary and there is no additionl costs to run the
standby.  We are be told now this is not true by Oracle sales and they
sent us a doc:

Failover: Nodes are configured in ?cluster? with the first installed node
acting as a primary node. If the primary node fails, one of the nodes in
the cluster acts as the primary node. In this type of environment, Oracle
permits licensed Oracle Database customers to run the Database on an
unlicensed spare computer for up to a total of ten separate days in any
given calendar year. Any other use requires the environment to be fully
licensed. Additionally, the same metric must be used when licensing the
databases in a failover environment.
? Standby: One or many copies of the primary database are maintained on
separate server(s) at all times. These systems are configured for disaster
recovery purposes. If the primary database fails, the standby database is
activated to act as the new primary database. In this environment, the
primary and the standby databases must be fully licensed. Additionally,
the same metric must be used when licensing the databases in a standby
environment.

What is your understanding of this?
"cluster" "failover" "standby"
They are really cuttign off their nose here again.
--
..
David