RE: segment monitoring, stats, histograms

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:39:31 -0500

 Wolfgang has his reasons for not liking this approach, and I have to
agree they are very significant and make sense.  Basically it's a "if
it's not broke, then don't fix it" approach.  Sorta falls in with my
love of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).  But I'm sorry to say that I don't
follow Wolfgang's beliefs in practice, mainly because with a high OLTP
environment things get broken often enough to drive you crazy.
Therefore Yes, I do monitor high transactional tables & gather the stale
statistics, if needed, every morning.  Keeps the machine well oiled.
Also, I only gather histograms on indexed columns and do a full compute,
stuff that sample size thing.  Since that has been put in place here the
7am calls of a slow database have disappeared completely.  They were a
weekly occurrence before.

I would highly recommend evaluating both approaches at your location.
Mine works here and Wolfgang's has been proven not to.  Where Wolfgang
is working his approach is working & I'd venture that mine would break
things.  Each site, each database instance, may function differently &
consequently require a different approach.  I see it as a part of the
DBA job to apply the approach that works best in the respective
environment.  This list is a sounding board of the approaches that have
been found to work, where they are implemented.  That way at least you
don't start with a blank piece of paper.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA