Re: scripts for checking naming conventions (prefix etc) for PL/SQL

  • From: "Alberto Dell'Era" <alberto.dellera@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bjorn.d.jensen@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 20:52:27 +0200

On 9/21/07, Bjørn D. Jensen <bjorn.d.jensen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(snip)
> The scripts are not so important, it's more important for me to get some
> ideas about what could be of value to check.

IMHO, you should establish a review process instead of relying on
automatic scripts: have the most experienced developer(s) review
the code, in a joint session with the author.

This costs almost nothing (it doesn't take a lot for an expert to spot
critical points in the code) and the benefits are invaluable, since there
will be a lot of knowledge transfer between the two parties - "why
you didn't use a private procedure in this package, instead of
declaring it in the package header ? " - "Oh I didn't know it was possible,
what are the benefits ? " - "Well, the benefits are ..."

That would disseminate expertise very quickly in your company/team,
and the few things an automatic script might catch will be caught
as a by-product.

Not to mention the networking benefits : the two developers will get to
know each other, and probably get in touch in many occasions,
consulting each other, thus further improving the quality of work.

Oh, last but not least: knowledge goes both ways, even from a "beginner"
to an "expert" - so the "expert" will (not might, will) learn new techniques,
new tricks, new features, that will be further disseminated in other review
sessions to others ... "viral" knowledge transfer, the best thing a company
may wish for. All for the negligible cost of a few hours.

my 2 cents
Alberto

--
Alberto Dell'Era