row cache lock

  • From: New DBA <new_dba_on_the_block@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 05:58:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

First let me express my sincere thanks to everyone in
this list who has answered my questions in the past
and help me learn and understand oracle better.

So here is my problem (9.2.0.5 on HP-UX):

While investigating long running requests, I found out
that most of them were waiting on "row cache lock"
since a long time.

P1 was 21, and I checked v$rowcache and it returned 2
rows:

dc_table_scns
dc_partition_scns

The current SQL for most of these sessions was COMMIT.

Please explain me what do these 2 row caches mean and
how to find out who is currently holding them so that
I can investigate further. I searched metalink but
couldn't find any information.

Moreover, I saw one odd thing while looking at
v$session_wait

I saw there were many rows with STATE=WAITED KNOWN
TIME and seconds_in_wait a very big value (>10000).
Moreover, seconds_in_wait kept increasing.

Meanwhile, when I looked at the process for these
sessions at the O/S level, they were consuming 100%
CPU.

Does this situation mean that last wait was
seconds_in_wait back and ever since then it has not
waited on anything?

Please help me understand the above 2 problems.

Regards
New DBA

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail