re Direct IO -- was RE: Important note about asynchronous commit

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx, "Oracle-L Freelists" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:06:03 +0800

Oracle should always be opening the files with O_DSYNC.

See http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=7037
There's a good point there about the Archiver -- ArchiveLog files
should not be on Direct I/O filesystems.

Hemant

At 10:51 PM Tuesday, Jesse, Rich wrote:
This thread leads me to a question.  Does the Unix syncer come into play
when direct IO is used?  I believe it does with most FS caching, which
means that even synchronous writes can't really be guaranteed, doesn't
it?  At least that's what I was lead to believe...

Rich