question on standby (LGWR, ASYNC)

  • From: susan lam <susanzlam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:42:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I'm trying to understand the performance impact the
standby database will have on the primary database
with Maximum Performance mode (LGWR ASYNC using
standby redo logs)  if the physical standby is not
able to handle the load generated by the primary db.
Will there be any?

I read somewhere on metalink that when the LNS detects
that the async network buffer is full, the primary db
will halt for a number of seconds before temporary
switching to ARCH for shipping the logs. Is there a
best practice as to what I should set the async
network buffer (ASYNC) to?

I'm using  9204.

TIA.

susan