Re: performance impact of monitor hint?

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:06:45 -0600

I'd be interested in the definitive answer as well.

Based on what it does (described in reasonable detail at
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16638/instance_tune.htm#PFGRF94543)

I suspect there will be some, but not significant, impact.

After all, "By default, SQL monitoring automatically starts when a SQL
statement runs parallel, or when it has consumed at least 5 seconds of
CPU or I/O time in a single execution." and so all you are doing is
adding those statements that don't run in parallel, and don't consume 5
seconds I/O or CPU.  Depending on the load type of your environment,
that might not affect many/any statements.

But it is (yet another) area I have not studied in detail.

/Hans