orphan processes

  • From: "Pakhutkin, Maxim (Max)" <maxim.pakhutkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 15:50:47 +0000

On our 10.2.0.3 database (Solaris 10, client is weblogic/jdbc on Linux on Sun)
we've started experiencing orphan process generation at a rate of about a
hundred a minute. We've raised the processes limit from about 400 to 5000 and
after a couple of hours of running the orphan processes reached about 4800 and
started falling off. The session count stays at about 350 at all times. No core
dumps on the client and the application that is responsible for the orphans
does not registers any errors (except when we reach the process limit), so
network doesn't appear to be an issue. No expire_time set in sqlnet.ora.
Setting it to 1 or 10, didn't make a difference either. The application
connects once per query it needs to execute and then disconnects. The
login/logoff trigger registers both logins and logoffs for each connection, so
I'm thinking the orphan process is created after the login trigger fires, but
before the final connection closure negotiation. No changes in code or in the
database configuration have been identified. There were some changes on the
Unix side, having to do with clustering (a new "package" was brought to the
host). The orphan processes are cleaned up automatically (no need to kill -9
them) but not as fast as they are generated. The database has been restarted
since the issue surfaced, but that didn't change anything.

We are working on setting up sql*net trace on the client to see what is
happening and have an SR with oracle open. If I could patch and upgrade the
database version now, I would, but I can't, so that's not an option.

I'm wondering if anyone experienced something similar and what they discovered.
Thanks in advance.

--
Max Pakhutkin