orion

  • From: Henry Poras <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:20:46 -0500

I am about to install RAC on a couple of nodes attached to a SAN, but for now the SAN has its RAID configuration set but no datafiles. Seemed like a good time to play with Orion. I've run a few simple tests so far, it's a pretty easy tool to use. Haven't had much of a chance to do a lot of analysis yet, just some quick sanity checks. I've been trying to think of some interesting experiments to run while I have the chance. There are a couple that I'm not to sure about:

1. run simultaneously from each node. Will this model RAC? or does orion always read/write from the same part of the disk. Does orion play nice when overlapped like this? Will it be better if the tests are staggered? This is easy enough to test so I'll try it and see what happens. I'll post results.

2. Overhead of switching in a hot spare. It would be nice to see how the stats change when a disk dies and is replaced. However, what would be resilvered here? Orion will write to disk, but is there enough data to see the effect of resilvering?

Any other interesting tests?

Thanks.

Henry