RE: ora-01031

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <raindoctor@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 16:11:14 -0400

Hi Pedro,

My guess is, when you did "connect / as sysdba", the process table was
already filled, and you actually failed to connect.

Then, when you tried to shutdown abort, you got ORA-1031 cause you
weren't actually connected.

It's interesting to note that if you connect as sysdba, and the
connection is successful, you see something like:
"Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - 64bit
Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options"

Of course, this will vary, based on the version of Oracle you're
running.

If you fail to connect, cause process table is full, you'll  get:
"Connected."

Which is a just a *bit* counterintuitive....but that's what happens.

So, "Connected." means you *failed* to connect!

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

"There are 10 types of people in the world:  Those who understand
binary, and those who don't."