Re: odm vs cio on vxfs

  • From: przemolicc@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: coskan@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 09:47:23 +0200

Hi,in my previous company we used Solaris + VxFS/VxVM + ODM + Oracle 10. We did
many, many performance tests and it turned out that ODM is the bestin all
aspects especially with performance. We didn't have a lot of problems with
backup (Netbackup) because after careful tuning we had quite impressivenumbers.
Almost all Oracle files (including redo, datafiles) were on ODM and we were
very satisfied although I don't have any numbers ontop of my head (it was over
year ago ...).Of course enabling ODM was not enough - we also had to change
some Oracle's parameters.RegardsP.Od: "tefetufe ." <coskan@xxxxxxxxx>Do:
"Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Wysłane: 7:33 Wtorek
2014-05-20Temat: odm vs cio on vxfsHi,
we are in the middle of choosing the most suitable standard for our estate for
I/O. we are using vxfs as filesystem and I wonder if any one in the list can
share their experiences on using Oracle Disk Manager (odm) or Concurrent I/O
and why would I chose one on another.

in the past on 10g,  I experienced very slow backups from DR site when ODM
is used. Never had chance to be in a position to test both on the same
application but I experienced very good improvements by using CIO to attack log
file sync issues.

on the paper odm looks like it has more features around block management which
I'm not able to prove so I wonder if the features on the paper are still valid
for 11g.
For me , What really matters is performance. During our tests, If CIO performs
way better then cio will probably the the best choice but if the difference is
not big then benefits from ODM will probably impact the decision as the
features on paper attracts the platform guys.
appreciate if any of you can share your experiences
Thanks in advance
by the way asm is not an option.