Re: netapp and asm

  • From: Eric Grancher <eric@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Randy.Steiner@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:26:08 +0100

Randy,
my personal opinion on your question is:
 - provided you have sized your IO back-end correctly in term of throughput
and random IOs
 - provided that you can have enough 10GbE ports on the storage and servers
and the storage network is distinct from the general purpose network
 - then Oracle D-NFS is a very good solution for accessing your NetApp
storage

We have observed that:
 - (compared to non D-NFS usage), D-NFS uses less CPU on the database
server hosts (note that D-NFS is for Oracle 11.1 and later)
 - stability with NFS/D-NFS is excellent (no OCR/voting disk as mentioned,
never seen anything like this in the past 5 years and we run several tens
of RAC clusters 2 to 4 nodes)
 - the solution is extremely simple: just mount with right options 359515.1
(checking options is not even needed with D-NFS for datafiles)
 - making use of storage level "advanced" features is really a time /
effort saving. Restoring a multi TB database without snapshot can be very
long, so I recommend to use the features of your storage when you will be
familiar enough with it.

We (CERN, Geneva) currently use Oracle on NetApp with NFS (10.2) or D-NFS
(11.2) on RAC with very good return on experience.
Let me know if you want to talk about it.

cheers
Eric

PS: as mentioned by Freek, as far as I know, OL6/RHEL6 is not certified for
11.2 (I have just checked again). Would I be you, I would not go on a
non-certified path but use the latest of the OL5/RHEL5 OS with the latest
updates