Re: monitor column usage or index usage?

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 09:35:11 +0100

What do you mean by 'working' ?

Column usage monitoring is enabled by
default. It doesn't "do" anything, it simply
exists so that the AUTO option for generating
histograms has some data of which columns
might be appropriate for histograms.

If I recall correctly, the col_usage$ table is another
of those things handled by smon every 5 minutes.
If a hard parse of an sql statement has included
a column in its where clause since the previous
update to col_usage$, then the relevant usage
column is incremented.

Oracle 9 has a procedure
    dbms_stats.flush_database_monitoring_info
to force a flush (on col_usage$ and mon_mod$),
so that you can see the effect in close to real time.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st