RE: mix ANSI and Oracle JOINs?

  • From: "Kenneth Naim" <kennethnaim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Oracle-L Freelists'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 11:08:14 -0500

Mixing ansi syntax with Oracle join can cause ORA-600's in certain cases.
I've run into these a few times usually with outer join or full outer joins
of inline views using standard joins.

I find the ansi joins to be good for straight forward sql but very difficult
to write complex sql statements, like outer joins with a where clause on the
deficient side, triangle joins (a -> b -> c -> a) which I don't like to use
but rarely are necessary in databases with poor data models especially some
erp products. I also find the ansi syntax difficult to read and format when
inline views are present.

Ken