RE: many seconds waiting for I/O?

  • From: "Dunbar, Norman" <norman.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ax.mount@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:35:04 +0100

Morning Alex,

>> I have a batch process running and it seems that it's
>> waiting for I/O all the time, the strange thing is it shows
>> 400 seconds waits!
>>
>> EVENT                      CONSISTENT_GETS SPID
>> WAIT_TIME SECONDS_IN_WAIT STATE                     SEQ#
>> -------------------------- --------------- ------------
>> ---------- --------------- ------------------- ----------
>> db file sequential read             212532 25879
>>    -1             374 WAITED SHORT TIME          892

The STATE of 'waited short time' and the WAIT_TIME of -1 show that this
is not waiting.

The values of WAIT_TIME are :

Negative : the wait time was unknown.
Zero : the session is still waiting.
Positive : the actual time waited.

PLUS for a session that is waiting, the STATE will be 'WAITING'.

You have to take STATE, WAIT_TIME and SECONDS_IN_WAIT together.

A STATE of 'waited short time', as you have, means that the actual wait
was less than one cent-second and the WAIT_TIME is always shown as -1.

The WAIT_TIME you see is the session's LAST wait time - so whatever
event it was waiting on previous to the current one would have waited
nearly 400 seconds. I'd be willing to say that in a batch program it
would be something like 'SQL*NET message from client' as Oracle has fed
the batch program a shed load of data which it has to process before
doing the next lot/query.

Obviously, you'd want to trace the session to be 100% sure ....

HTH

Cheers,
Norman.

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender
immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.

We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under
the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email
messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may
also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business
purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms
and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find out more
about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk