Re: is there better way than the call a function twice.

  • From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:54:10 +0000 (GMT)

try

select x, x from
 ( select ugly x from a where rownum > 0 )

or

select x, x from
 ( select /*+ NO_MERGE */ ugly x from a )

hth
connor

 --- "Duret, Kathy" <kduret@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> oh magic eight ball is there a better way than calling a ugly function twice
> when I need two columns returned with the same value.
>
> I hate the call the function twice because it is very costly.
>
> what I need to do is:
> select x,y,z, ugly_function as ugly1, ugly_function ugly2 from a
>
> when I do.... it actually gives me worse results ie. more physical reads....
>
> select x,y,z , ugly1, ugly1 as ugly2 from (
> select x,y,z, ugly_function ugly1 from a)
>
> Is there anyway around this?
>

> Kathy.
>

> This transmission contains information solely for intended recipient and may
> be privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protect from disclosure.  If
> you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all
> copies of this transmission.  This message and/or the materials contained
> herein are not an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy, any
> securities or other instruments.  The information has been obtained or
> derived from sources believed by us to be reliable, but we do not represent
> that it is accurate or complete.  Any opinions or estimates contained in
> this information constitute our judgment as of this date and are subject to
> change without notice.  Any information you share with us will be used in
> the operation of our business, and we do not request and do not want any
> material, nonpublic information. Absent an express prior written agreement,
> we are not agreeing to treat any information confidentially and will use any
> and all information and reserve the right to publish or disclose any
> information you share with us.
> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

=====
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"
ISBN: 1590592174

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Messenger - all new features - even more fun! http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com