RE: how many LIOs is too many

  • From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ram Raman <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 21:49:45 +0000

It looks as if that code is trying to sweep through the table picking up "the
oldest data not yet processed", remembering to start of from where it ended on
the last pass (based on a two-part key).  It also looks as if the developer
expected it to use an index on (maudrecno, memrecno) to walk the index order so
that it could stop after 500 suitable rows and return the data without sorting.
If that's the case it's not obvious why the optimizer is choosing the wrong

As someone else said, concurrency (in the same blocks) also pushes up the
number of LIOs, so if this is "find the recent activity" the query is
constantly scanning through recent data which is either not yet committed, or
may be in need of block cleanout, and therefore produces lots of extra LIOs as
visits to the undo segment.

Off the top of my head I'm not certain that the optimizer can use the predicate
at line 4 as an access predicate to do a "count stopkey" with "sort order by
nosort" - but I think it should be able to if you've got the right index in
place.  So my next move would be to check if the index exists, run a test to
see if it can do what I think it can, and if so create an SQL Baseline to force
the use of that index.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com