Re: how many LIOs is too many

  • From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:45:31 -0500

How reliable is CPU_SEC for capacity planning? Is it reliable between
different servers? There are cases where I may have dev,test
environment and get asked for an estimate of CPUs needed for prod. If
I run tests with what we think is a percentage of peak load in a test
environment (since test will usually have less horsepower than a prod
environment) can I spreadsheet that and project it to a prod
environment ?

Do you have an estimate for how much cpu power I need to reserve in
the spreadsheet just for background processes? There are also cases
where people want to consolidate many DBs to 1 Server and estimating
this can be tricky.

I tend to do alot of guessing. wondering if anyone has any half way
decent spreadsheet formulas?