helping Oracle help us

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:07:43 -0500

Okay, so no one is going to confuse me with someone who likes flashy new
pretty stuff.

Now, what is the most productive thing we can all do starting right now to
help get over this hump?

First, though tempting, I reject the notion of making it a maximum pain in
the butt and expensive for Oracle. Partly because I'm not personally
vindictive (I gave up violence when that Harvard freshman quarterback
started spitting up blood in real time after a quite legal but brutal hit.
Well, push comes to shove and I'm not Gandi, but I try to avoid violence and
it is mostly working so far since fall 1973.) But mostly because this is not
a zero sum game and we the consumers of limping support are in this
together.

Second, a few folks have published browser configurations that seem to work.
Some of my workstations work, some don't. One of the one that works is (ugh)
Vista with the latest browser from the convicted monopolist and the latest
adobe free reader I could find and whatever the flash was it said I had to
have. That workstation is mostly for playing movies, so I don't really care
much how I've polluted it with crap of the day. For the moment I'm using it
if I have to log in to support. Someone wrote that google chrome or
something was working. One note about my config - it did hang for about 10
minutes at "96%" the first time, and I had about given up. After that it was
slow, it had none of my setup from previous support configurations, but it
seemed to work for what I actually needed to check on (slowly).

Third, if you don't really need to use support this week or so, don't. I
know that is not an option for a LOT of shops, and I know it is a lot to
ask. I'm not asking for the benefit of ORACLE. I'm asking for the benefit of
all your fellow licensees. Now obviously you cannot compromise the support
you give to your company in this regard. But my suggestion and request is to
minimize to what you need.

Fourth, we shouldn't forget this, and we should muster our demands for
better behavior and better performance. Just not this week. The distribution
of whatever hits the fan will not be uniform. Let's be part of minimizing
the total amount that hits the fan. That can only underscore our credibility
and influence about the future.

Regards,

mwf