RE: gzip vs. compress

  • From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <joe_dba@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:04:36 -0500

Gzip is much better than compress. Fast, compressing much better and more
reliable for uncompress.
Couple of years back I produced comparative results on this list.
Only observation is high CPU usage for gzip than compress though.

Regards
Rafiq

From: joe_dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gzip vs.
compressDate: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:54:15 -0600

Which is better to use gzip or compress? All of my work is done on AIX 5L 64bit
server. I am doing cold backups of databases where I tar and then compress the
resulting file. I have always used compress, but I read that gzip gives better
compression. Any thoughts will be appreciated.