Re: force logging

  • From: Mark Bole <makbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 07:54:54 -0700

Chirag DBA wrote:

Hi Team,
I am running with 1 primary n 2 stand by DBs.
I want to force logging the Primary Database. Do I need to do that on Standby DBs.
I think shutting down and again recover them in standby mode after doing force logging.
Or just simple putting Primary DB in Standby DB will do the work.
Chirag

Version information, as well as indicating physical or logical standby, would help.

For a physical standby, it only makes sense to enable force logging on the primary, not the standby (although if you plan to switch Data Guard roles back and forth, I suppose you will need to ensure that the FORCE LOGGING clause also makes into the control file of the standby when it becomes the primary -- V$DATABASE in my version 9.2 physical standby does show FORCE LOGGING = yes). You could always recreate your standby control file for good measure.

For a logical standby, it depends on the archivelog mode of the standby, and what your disaster recovery requirements for the logical standby are.

FORCE LOGGING is only a preventive measure, it won't fix any pre-existing nologging operations that may have broken your standby.

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com