Re: file size for a large database

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 20:48:32 -0400

Heh... true.
Few days ago with one of the customers we hit the bug with 8.1.7 on
windows. Apparently, you shouldn't make your datafiles sized in
multiples of 4 GB. It reports block corruption later. I repeat - it's
only valid for 8.1.7 so I bet that this new roll out is higher than
that. :)

On 7/6/07, Syed Jaffar Hussain <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You didn't mention the version of Oracle which you gonna use.

Starting with 10g, you can create a bigfile tablespace with a single
datafile size range from MB to TB, (depends on your db_block_size).

However, as other already suggested here, you need to think of consequences
or the following scenarios:

1. Backup time
2. recovery time
3. single point of failure (in case tablespace has only one datafile (big
size).
4. OS support

and so forth.

We have around 2TB database in which couple of database sized around 20gb.

But, I am not so favor of big datafiles (in sizes).

Jaffar

 --
Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://blog.oracloid.com