enq: WL - contention; plus kcrrrcp

  • From: Gus Spier <gus.spier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:41:35 -0400

It simply has to be a Friday ...

Solaris 10
Oracle 10.2.0.2 EE

A member of the end-user community calls in a trouble ticket, "The database
is going awfully slow!"  No further information or specifics are available
... just "the database is going awfully slow!"

addmrpt alerts us to an issue "enq: WL - contention waits in service
SYS$BACKGROUND" and follows that up with an issue "kcrrrcp waits in
SYS$BACKGROUND"

A quick query to V$EVENT_NAMES tells me that enq: WL refers to log writing
(do I assume this archiving the REDO logs?) ... kcrrrcp is simply listed as
"Other".

Google has been able to offer very little: a brief reference in our archives
here that deal with an RMAN bug.

Has anyone seen these types of things before?  Is there some other
documentation that I should be looking in?  Wasn't there once upopn a time a
Working Aid that decrypted all the kg*, kc*, kl* modules with at least a
good guess about their function and usage.

Any assistance will appreciated.

regards,
Gus